Holy Mackerel! This ain’t yo mama’s grilled cheese!
You know you want one!
This isn’t one of my typical low fat, no guilt recipes. Although I dare say it has less calories and a teensy bit more nutrition that your standard grilled cheese. And tons more flavor.
This is grilled cheese all grown up!
Ingredients (serves 2)
4 ½ inch slices of pumpernickel bread
1 Granny Smith apple (cut into ¼ inch slices
juice of 1 lemon
6 ounces blue cheese (or gorgonzola, stilton)
2 ounces baby arugula
1. Slice the apple and place the slices in the lemon juice. It prevents them from browning.
2. Lightly dust the cooking surface of an indoor grill (I used a George Foreman) or large skillet with spray cooking oil (I used olive oil).
3. Spray both sides of the sliced bread with cooking spray.
4. Cut the cheese into even slices and equally distribute over all slices of bread.
5. Drain the lemon juice from the apple slices and pat dry with a paper towel. Equally distribute the apple slices over all slices of bread and press into the cheese lightly so they stick.
6. Place 1 ounce of arugula on the top side of one bread slice. Then place it on top of the bottom bread slice.
7. If using a double-sided grill, place cover over the sandwiches and press down gently to secure them. Cook for 5 – 7 minutes until cheese is melted. If using a skillet, place a heavy pan/skillet on top of the sandwiches (or a plate with a brick or heavy weight on top). Cook for 3 – 4 minutes, then carefully flip and cook for another 3 – 4 minutes until cheese melts.
8. Serve hot immediately.