I kinda hit the jackpot recently when my in-laws gave us all of the roasted eggplant they had in their freezer – about 5 pounds of it! It represents many hours of their hard work and we are very grateful recipients. So it’s time start putting this bounty to work.
To make this super easy and quick to make, use store-bought roasted eggplant and red peppers. To make this special and super delicious, roast the eggplant and peppers yourself. The roasted vegetables, tahini and spices give this a subtle, smoky flavor. Serve it with crackers, veggie sticks, baguette, or whatever you have on hand.
Ingredients (serves 8)
2 cups roasted eggplant (about 1 large oven roasted eggplant, flesh removed)
1 14-ounce jar roasted red pepper – non-marinated (drain and diced – about 1 cup)
¼ cup tahini
½ tablespoon garlic (finely chopped)
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
½ tablespoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1. If you are roasting an eggplant, follow the directions in this post. If you are using a store-bought product, drain off excess liquid and place in a food processor.
2. Set aside ½ cup of the diced roasted red pepper.
3. Place all remaining ingredients in the food processor and blend until mostly smooth.
4. Place ingredients in a bowl and stir in ½ cup of diced roasted red peppers.
5. Garnish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and parsley, and serve room temperature or chilled.